Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Small Stuff

I've been drinking chamomile tea after lunch at work for about 2 or 3 weeks now. It settles my stomach, and makes me happy.

Today was the first time I realized that on every tea bag, the tag has an inspirational or romantic quote. Like a fortune cookie that makes sense.

Here is what mine said:

"All love that has not friendship for its base is like a mansion built upon the sand." Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I thought this was really sweet, and it's something I've missed for the approximate 13 days I've been drinking tea. So today I decided to focus on some of the little things that cheer me up that I often overlook.

Getting my magazines all in one day

Yes, that includes LL Bean Woman.
Enjoying running for the sake of running
This morning I went for a run sans iPod. It's been a long time since I've done that, but it felt really, really nice. I didn't map out my run or worry about how fast I was running - I just went. It was just what I needed to start my day.

This wasn't taken today, but I still think it's pretty.
Dropping off laundry to be washed, dried and folded.
I am positive I will REALLY appreciate it when I have a washer and dryer at my disposal in my home. But until then, I will mooch of mine and Keith's parents and use their precious water to make my clothes smell like the Downy bear. Or I will just drop it off to have someone else do it. How wonderful is it to pay a small fee and have your clothes washed, dried, folded AND separated???

I couldn't resist.
Thank You Notes
I love getting 'em. I love sending 'em.


Girl Scout Cookies
Please do not send me any. I've already eaten two boxes of Samoas this year. Or you can send them if you want me to beat a Guiness World Record or something.

I refuse to call them anything but Samoas.
Little Victories
Tuesday morning, I got out of bed before work and did a tempo run. My quads were sore from doing 7 miles the night before, but I went out there and did it. And I was really sweaty and tired afterwards.

My splits looked like this (mind the timex factor):
Mile 1: 8:40
Mile 2: 8:02
Mile 3: 8:00
Mile 4: 7:59
Mile 4.5 (cool-down): 4:30

I count this as my little victory for the week. As sore and tired and hot as I was, I still got out of bed and did it. So go ahead and pat yourself on the back for your little victories this week.

I am really excited about this weekend (add weekends to stuff that cheers me up Tuesday through Friday). I get to spend time with family, drink wine, and run a race on Sunday to support the NYC Parks! Check back for what is sure to be an interesting race report - I will be running 6 miles to get to my 10 mile weekend goal before the race.

So if you're having a tough day (or week), try to remember the small stuff. It helps, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment