Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A (mid) Week in Review

I tried my first tempo run on Monday (you start the run slow, build up speed towards the middle at a 5k or 10k pace, and slow down towards the end) - It was awesome!


The weather was beautiful, and I did a loop through Williamsburg that led me to my beloved bridge and back. By eyeing my trusty timex, I think I did the first and last miles at about a 9:00 pace, and the rest at around an 8:00/8:15. I really need a garmin...


Tuesday morning, I did a 4 mile loop to the McCarren Park track - officially my longest run before work! I normally push my snooze button a few times and turn what's supposed to be a 3 mile run into a 2 mile run... or a 1.5 mile run... but I forced myself up and felt really energized afterwards! I would love to become a morning runner, but before I get there, I'll pat myself on the back for this week's awesome morning run. 


Today I did an easy three miles after work. I left my watch and iPod at home, figuring I could use a little one-on-one time with the road. My legs were a little tight from the faster runs earlier in the week, but it was nice to hear my feet hit the pavement and clear my head. I ran to Long Island City by the water, which was filled with families and the first ice cream cones of the season. 


I've said before about how awful last year's Brooklyn Half-Marathon was for me (burning quads, displeased stomach - you get the picture). While flipping through my journal last night, I came across my first several weeks of training from last year's race. I was crazy undertrained. Each week, I did one 4/5 miler on the treadmill, one 2/3 miler, and a long run on the weekends. No wonder I was cursing every person around me at mile 10. 


It made me realize how much I've matured as a runner. I was writing things like "Ran 7 miles - longest run ever!" Oh how silly I was to think that two runs on the treadmill and one long run on the weekends was going to prepare me for 13.1 miles of Brooklyn pavement. Poor, naive me.


In other news, Keith and I tried an awesome turkey meatball recipe!


Why yes, I've been told I'd make a great
hand model before.
Coupled with sauteed spinach and potatoes, we had a grand meal. 




And finally, I am PUMPED to see the Hunger Games tomorrow night with Jillian! I'm already giddy just thinking about it.


I'm on team Gale.
Have a wonderful rest of your week!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, next time home you have to cook for us! My mouth is watering just thinking of the meal you cooked. Any my Kate, cursing? I cannot imagine it!

    ReplyDelete