Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Take a Chill Pill

After my glorious speed work on Monday, my stomach was not too pleased with me. I spent the night groaning on my couch, trying to eat cinnamon toast. But nothing was sitting well with me.

I felt a bit better yesterday, and decided to squeeze in a pace run after work.

How fun is it to run with a braid?!
Just call me Katniss Everdeen.

My half-marathon goal pace is 8:45, and I had some splits I’m pretty pleased with:

Mile 1: 8:40
Mile 2: 8:44
Mile 3: 8:26
Mile 4: 8:44
Mile 4.5: 4:51 (cool down)

It was a bit brisk out, and I had to rummage through some storage bins to get a running jacket that I thought would gather dust until next fall. I’m a bit of a baby when it comes to layering (I read in Runner’s World that most runners switch from leggings to shorts when the weather gets to 40 degrees. Who are these people?). I will wear my pink head band until the cows come home.



But then, my stomach was unhappy again. I was able to eat 2 full pieces of cinnamon toast for dinner, and that was it.

I was talking to my mom last week about how I carry stress with me, and she said something that really stuck with me. She explained how I’m really competitive with myself, and I’m always trying to be the best at whatever I’m doing (hence, why I quit basketball in 8th grade. I was never going to be Lisa Leslie.). But when it comes to running, I know when to push and when to give my body a break. I see it as a stress-reliever, not a stress-creator.

So now that I’ve had two nights in a row of post-run stomach blues, I think I might need to take the night off and give my body a break.

ESPECIALLY because I’m going HERE IN TWO DAYS:


Isn't mama adorable?

Keith and I have been getting psyched by catching up on recent episodes of Alcatraz.



And I need to make sure my stomach is in tip-top shape for all of the wine drinking here:


With Elvis and mama in Napa.
I know I will probably only squeeze in one or two runs (if I’m lucky) on our trip, so I wanted to get my scheduled long run in this evening. However, I would much rather be healthy and happy than do a long run and feel sick for the trip. One long run, in the grand scheme of things, won’t make or break my training.

So I fully plan to pack, paint my nails, and watch a movie tonight instead. I’m thinking something with Jennifer Lawrence.
Major new girl crush.
Question: What do you do when you're sick? Do you eat cinnamon toast cut into little fingers? Do you watch Annie Hall?

No comments:

Post a Comment