Friday, May 24, 2013

Weird Sh*t on a Run

I’m in week 12 of Tri training, with a little over 7 weeks left before race day. Where has the time gone.

Here’s what this past week looked like:

Sunday: 1 hour BRick at the gym
Monday: 40 min Swim
Tuesday: Insane Spin class
Wednesday: 4.2 mile Run
Thursday: 30 min Swim

I think my body is finally getting used to 6 workouts per week. And my tummy is happy because now I’m eating extra rice crispy treats in the process.

Last week, I expressed some feelings of doubt about whether I will be ready for race day. I realize now that by continuing to fit in my workouts, I will be ready. But after reflecting on my doubt, I think I realized something.

I’m not a huge fan of swimming. (!!!)

Expectation
Reality.

I’m an optimist. I see the glass half-full. I go into most experiences believing that I will enjoy them, and come out the other side with more knowledge or passion for something. I believed wholeheartedly when I signed up for the tri that I would grow to love biking and swimming. I like to exercise, I like to learn new things… makes sense.

But I forgot about the human condition that we don’t like things we’re not good at. I forgot that I quit basketball in 8th grade because I was terrible, and I stopped trying out for the school musicals because I didn’t want to be stuck in the chorus anymore. I am guilty of stopping things that I’m not good at. It’s just not fun. Who’s with me?

I don’t think that I’m a great runner, but at least I have seen myself improve and accomplish things over the past two years. I put in the hours and practiced and trained, and I like to think that I am at least a good runner. I also have seen my endurance improve in biking – I love going to spin classes and riding through Prospect Park with my shiny new bike. It’s fun.

Convincing myself that I have improved in my swimming is harder. I know my endurance has increased, but I kind of dread going to the pool on my own. I go to every group training session I can, because it's slightly less painful doing lap sprints with my fellow TNTers. When I go to the pool on my own, I get it done because I know I have to. And the consequence of not being prepared in swimming (ahem, drowning) is slightly scarier than being undertrained in biking or running. I get in the pool and say to myself “okay, let’s get this over with. And then you can treat yourself to a yummy breakfast or something.”

Am I being a negative Nancy? Perhaps. But I am also being honest with myself. If I’m going to finish the next 7 weeks of training, I have to come to terms with the fact that I’m not going to become an amazing swimmer overnight. It’s going to be hard and not that fun for me, but I’m going to stick with it, and know that by race day I accomplished something awesome.

On an upbeat note, I am really excited about my new Up band by Jawbone!

Compliments my gold watch, no?

I received it as a gift from my boss for putting on our sales meeting back in April. With high-tech motion sensors (or something), it can track how many steps you take, your workouts, and how well you sleep. Just wear it on your wrist day and night, plug it into your phone so it syncs up with an app, and get immediate feedback on your activity right away. So awesome.

I walked over 5 miles yesterday! One good thing
that comes from my commute.

I also wore it on my crazy a** run the other night. I will now elaborate.

Per my description of how I’m not the biggest fan of swimming, I am like a kid in a candy store when it’s a run day. It all started out great. The weather was warm, it was the first time I was wearing shorts this season, and I was ready for some speedwork at the track. But apparently the entire community of north Brooklyn also thought it was a nice night for the track.

I would very much like to give a seminar on proper track etiquette to my neighbors. I had to dodge slow people walking while talking on cell phones, little kids zigzagging, and one guy pushing a shopping cart. ON THE TRACK. The outside is for slow walkers, the park and the green space is for kids, and the grocery store is where you can take your shopping cart. Mkay? I am trying to complete some 400s here people.

Then on my way home, a girl sitting on her fire escape dumped some kind of liquid (I’m hoping it was water) over the edge, about 2 ft from me. I looked up with a nasty stare, and she said “Oops.” Then, as I was walking the last block back to my apartment for a cool down, I saw a guy, who was stopped and resting on his bike, start PEEING NEXT TO HIS BIKE. WTF. It’s not like I live in some downtrodden neighborhood where public urination is a common thing. It wasn’t even dark out. If you must pee in public, do it when it’s dark, next to an alley or a wall or something. And for the love of Lance Armstrong, don't do it while on your bike.

Needless to say, I got back to my apartment, wondering what was wrong with this world. But it was a great run otherwise, so I can’t really complain.

1 comment:

  1. What a great read! And a couple of points, first - you just ran into a few NY crazies! You can find them and their kin anywhere. Second - you do not always quit when it is tough as I have seen you overcame many a challenge. Third - keep it up and you will do GREAT!

    ReplyDelete